Amala Beads Worldwide is a new source for the discerning bead collector and jewelry lover. I am always on the hunt for new and interesting items and can offer you an exciting collection of beads and findings that have been collected from the world over. Many of the beads I sell have been handmade by me and all of the finished pieces I offer are designed and assembled by me as well. You'll never find a "mass market" version of finished jewelry on this site! I offer a custom design service, meeting your needs for a single bead or a complete "parure" composed of earrings, necklace, bracelet, and brooch. Please feel free to contact me via amalabeadsworldwide@gmail.com. Thank you for visiting my blog and please tell your friends!

PS - Click on the photo for a larger view and then go back to the blog by clicking on the "X" in the upper right hand corner!

"All created things must pass; strive on, diligently" - The Buddha





This pin is based on a Japanese "mon".  I found the image in a book published by Dover in 1970  named "Japanese Emblems and Designs".  The book contains over 800 illustrations and an informative introduction.  This image depicts three hats.

I made a blend of three different Fimo polymer clays; translucent, white, and Sahara, cut it to shape with a cookie cutter, and cured it for half of the recommended time.  I tried using old fashioned carbon paper to transfer the design to the clay but, as that didn't work very well at all, I applied a black pastel to the back of the drawing, placed the drawing on the clay, and then drew over the design.  This left a nice, crisp transfer on the clay.

Using a fine gouge I carved out the design.  Accurate carving makes all the difference!  Curing the clay for half the time made the carving easier and when I was finished I cured the clay for the remaining time.

When the curing was done, I sanded the pin.  Before I sanded with the finest grade of sandpaper (1000 grit in this case) I applied some Golden brand burnt umber acrylic paint to fill in the carved lines, removing the excess until I achieved the look I wanted.  When the paint was dry I did the final sanding and used the buffing wheel to bring up a lovely shine.  With a pin back glued and tacked onto the back the pin was finished!

These pins are addictive to make!  There are SO many designs available, it's difficult to decide which ones to choose.  I recommend starting with less detailed designs and using a fine gouge until the technique is perfected!

No comments:

Post a Comment